Friday, March 27, 2009

Jaywalking

I have been wondering what to write about lately, with so many ideas coming to me in the past few days. Then I thought that maybe I should just start and discover where the chain of thoughts takes me. I often find myself just walking around the house, thinking. Not just anything specific, but just like that.
To me, most of my ideas come while I am walking. I often walk to the market with no reason, just looking at people, shopping, street vendors trying to peddle me stuff. But I hardly even hear a word, much less if someone were to call me from across the street. It is my way of mulling over things. I disconnect from my body and venture into a different plane, where I am alone, gliding on the ice of my thoughts, with bare feet. I slide and shift from one foot to another just like my thoughts. During my stint in Delhi, the walk from the office and to my room was as long too, but I never could be disconnected as I can in Lucknow. There, I had to be on my feet, being part of the crowd, and scared to be a target of some insusceptible pick-pocket. But back in Lucknow, I can be alone with my thoughts again. It has embraced me like its lover, welcoming me back.
Some people think over a cup of coffee, some over the newspaper. I have heard people thinking in the toilet as well, but I fail to understand the ideas that they must be getting in there.
Although I have been taking my walks for many years, it is not to say that I have not faced its perils as well. What perils, you may ask, can come from a walk. Well, I was hit by a biker and woke up in the hospital feeling a little woozy and a few teeth lighter. Since then, my sub conscious mind has undergone several rounds of training, not to mention stricter regulation as well. Today, I walk more on the terrace, or the courtyard, and I still fail to understand how the recommended 15 minutes of walk can be avoided by anyone during the day.
I still sometimes take the risks while crossing the street, and often so in life. Just one thing keeping me sane, the fact that I guess keeps all of us sane and going as well, at least in India. That we all live for someone else, and not just selfishly for just ourselves.
Just a thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment