Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Nostalgia!



All of us enter the college to make it big in life. That is to say, to have a degree, a label, and a job to make a career. We don't give much thought to finding new friends, except new boy/girlfriends for perhaps. It was with a similar feel that I entered my college. Although I had applied for a few colleges for graduation, but the one I ended up at was the one I knew from day one, it was going to be a habit.
I did make some very good friends in grads, but every year my core group seemed to change. For the first year it was just 4 guys. The second year it was 4 different guys and 4 girls. The final year saw yet another 3 guys and 2 girls. Today, I am in touch with just 2 people, one of them is my business partner, the other is a very good friend, who looked me up on a social networking sites(and to think I used to curse them) after 4 yrs. of college.
From grads. to PG, there was not a single common friend who joined me, though I did carry a relationship forward with one of my professors. She was a part-time lecturer at the time in my new college and we used to debate about the faculty in the new college. It was a precarious situation where I was gossiping about my teachers, with my teacher.
I still have friends that I made in my second college, and I hold them so close to my heart today. Some have withered into memories, some are still on my FB/Orkut friends list. But it is not the same. In college you'd know about the birthdays in the morning of the day. Today, Orkut alerts you 15days in advance. Thats technology for you. Even though you may not know what is happening in your collegues' life, you still wish send him a scrap wishing him happy birthday.
Those treats at the cafeteria have also vanished, or perhaps morphed into fancy luncheons in restaurants. The cake is ordered, not homemade. And so is life.
We so want to be back in college but we never would be the same person if it weren't for those very days. Personally, I am nostalgic about those moments, but I wouldn't give them up or go back and relive them. They are best left untouched, and unscathed for eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment